Igala Numeral System
Posted by abdul at December 2nd, 2014
The numeral system of Igala displays mathematical operations of addition, multiplication and subtraction in the realisation of especially non-basic numbers. The language is a quasi decimal system attested in its lower numerals and a majorly vigesimal system overall. The source of data for this paper is introspective evidence of the native speaker competence. With the need to count enormously large figures in contemporary times and limitations on the utility of the traditional system in achieving this, the difficulty of a vigesimal system and the merits of a proper decimal system in harmony with other numeral systems in a modern world; the need for a guided modification of the primitive model presents itself. The present work proposes a modification based on adjustment to a proper decimal system, elimination of subtraction in regular counting and the use of the multiplicative morpheme only at a higher numeral level in favour of the use of juxtaposition overall, syntactic reordering of numeral elements to achieve simplicity and meaning shift in some existing units in the language to cater for new units in the higher numerals. The modification plan put forward is based on aspects of the lexical, morphological and syntactic system of the norm, with only minimal essential shifts. For the utility of the proposal put forward, it is the position here that Igala linguists, language enthusiasts, educationists, authors and students endeavour to popularize the result of this work as effective means by which the proposal herein will move from the purely academic to become a functional system for the Igala language community.
Place your Adverts Here
Articles for learning Igala language
- The digital family theory of numbering (DIFTON)
- Towards the Standardization of the Igala Language
- Morphology of Igala Language
- IGALA:Towards evolving strategies for the preservation of a threatened language
- Igala alphabet – O
- Phono semantic matching between lgbo and Igala language
- Over View of Igala Studies
- Igala alphabet – Ẹ
- Miscellaneous Influences on the Igala Numeral System
- Relational opposites in Igala language
- Igala Phonology
- IGALA CLAN SALUTATIONS
This space is vacant for Adverts
Do you believe language can die?
- What are the causes of language endangerment and disappearance?
- How Response to New Domains and Media affect the growth of Igala Language
- Threats to the growth of Igala language
- What can be done to save a language from disappearing?
- How do you define an endangered language?
- Lack of quality documentation : Plaque to the growth of a language
- THE PROBLEM – LANGUAGE DEATH
- What does it mean to say that a language is extinct?
- Which are the regions with the most endangered languages?
- Relevance of Igala language in education:
- The effects of Governmental and institutional language attitudes
- Lack of Intergenerational Language Transmission as a threath to Igala language
- History of Igalapedia Project
- Arithmetic Operations in the Numeral system
- Igala alphabet – I
- Enhancing Meaning through Music in Igala Festival Theatre Ogani Angwa Experience
- THE AJU-OCHOLI LINEAGE
- ANCIENT IGALA NUMERAL SYSTEM
- A case for Igala language studies in the curriculum of agricultural extension in schools
- THE GRACE OF A TRUE “ATA” (FATHERHOOD)
- The ATA Royal drums and trumpets
- Why you most learn the Igala language
- Overview of Igala alphabets
- Igala language and Linguistic Adoption