Igala Numeral System
Posted by abdul at December 2nd, 2014
The numeral system of Igala displays mathematical operations of addition, multiplication and subtraction in the realisation of especially non-basic numbers. The language is a quasi decimal system attested in its lower numerals and a majorly vigesimal system overall. The source of data for this paper is introspective evidence of the native speaker competence. With the need to count enormously large figures in contemporary times and limitations on the utility of the traditional system in achieving this, the difficulty of a vigesimal system and the merits of a proper decimal system in harmony with other numeral systems in a modern world; the need for a guided modification of the primitive model presents itself. The present work proposes a modification based on adjustment to a proper decimal system, elimination of subtraction in regular counting and the use of the multiplicative morpheme only at a higher numeral level in favour of the use of juxtaposition overall, syntactic reordering of numeral elements to achieve simplicity and meaning shift in some existing units in the language to cater for new units in the higher numerals. The modification plan put forward is based on aspects of the lexical, morphological and syntactic system of the norm, with only minimal essential shifts. For the utility of the proposal put forward, it is the position here that Igala linguists, language enthusiasts, educationists, authors and students endeavour to popularize the result of this work as effective means by which the proposal herein will move from the purely academic to become a functional system for the Igala language community.
Place your Adverts Here
Articles for learning Igala language
- Igala alphabet – I
- Arithmetic Operations in the Numeral system
- The digital family theory of numbering (DIFTON)
- Morphology of Igala Language
- Igala alphabet – E
- Relational opposites in Igala language
- Overview of Igala alphabets
- A case for Igala language studies in the curriculum of agricultural extension in schools
- ANCIENT IGALA NUMERAL SYSTEM
- Phono semantic matching between lgbo and Igala language
- Miscellaneous Influences on the Igala Numeral System
- Igala alphabet – U
This space is vacant for Adverts
Do you believe language can die?
- How many languages have already disappeared?
- What does it mean to say that a language is extinct?
- THE PROBLEM â€“ LANGUAGE DEATH
- The effects of Governmental and institutional language attitudes
- Which are the regions with the most endangered languages?
- Need for adequate materials for Language Education and Literacy.
- What are the causes of language endangerment and disappearance?
- Threats to the growth of Igala language
- What can be done to save a language from disappearing?
- How Response to New Domains and Media affect the growth of Igala Language
- Who made the UNESCO Atlas of the Worldâ€™s Languages in Danger?
- What does UNESCO do to prevent the endangerment and disappearance of languages?
- Why and how Igala numeration was recently modernized
- THE GRACE OF A TRUE â€śATAâ€ť (FATHERHOOD)
- OKPA – ATA (THE SCEPTER)
- Igalapedia – 2016 New Year Message
- Cultivation of positive attitude towards Igala Language.
- CHALLENGES ON ATTAH HANDS
- OHIAKA or OHIALA (Story telling)
- Igala Kingdom in Perspective
- THE AJU-OCHOLI LINEAGE
- IGALA WORLDVIEW AS A VERITABLE BASIS FOR IGALA PHILOSOPHY
- The Dialects of Igala Language
- ITA IGALA 2