What does UNESCO do to prevent the endangerment and disappearance of languages?
Posted by abdul at October 1st, 2015
UNESCO acts on many fronts to safeguard endangered languages and prevent their disappearance:
- In education, UNESCO supports policies promoting multilingualism and especially mother tongue literacy; it supports the language component of indigenous education; and raises awareness of the importance of language preservation in education.
- In culture, UNESCO collects data on endangered and indigenous languages, develops standardized tools and methodologies, and builds capacities of governments and civil society (academic institutions and speaker communities).
- In communication and information, UNESCO supports the use of local languages in the media and promotes multilingualism in cyberspace.
- In science, UNESCO assists programmes to strengthen the role of local languages in the transmission of local and indigenous knowledge.
Place your Adverts Here
Articles for learning Igala language
- The morphosyntax of Igala verbs
- The digital family theory of numbering (DIFTON)
- Igala Phonology
- Igala alphabet – Ẹ
- Phono semantic matching between lgbo and Igala language
- Igala terminologies for medical concepts steps towards creating a metalanguage
- Igala Numeral System
- Igala Kingdom in Perspective
- Igala language and Linguistic Adoption
- Over View of Igala Studies
- Igala alphabet – O
- Morphology of Igala Language
This space is vacant for Adverts
Do you believe language can die?
- Cultivation of positive attitude towards Igala Language.
- The effects of Governmental and institutional language attitudes
- What are the causes of language endangerment and disappearance?
- Need for adequate materials for Language Education and Literacy.
- Lack of Intergenerational Language Transmission as a threath to Igala language
- What does it mean to say that a language is extinct?
- THE PROBLEM – LANGUAGE DEATH
- How many languages have already disappeared?
- What can be done to save a language from disappearing?
- Educational potentials of Igala language:
- How do you define an endangered language?
- Who made the UNESCO Atlas of the World’s Languages in Danger?
- The Nigerian Independence Celebration
- IGALA WORLDVIEW AS A VERITABLE BASIS FOR IGALA PHILOSOPHY
- The maiden annual conference of the Igala studies association
- IGALA CLAN SALUTATIONS
- The Royal beads of Igala kindom.
- IGALA:Towards evolving strategies for the preservation of a threatened language
- List of Nigerian languages spoken by less than 5000 people
- Importance of Ita Alu Igala (Igala Proverbs).
- A case for Igala language studies in the curriculum of agricultural extension in schools
- The Dialects of Igala Language
- Igala alphabet – U
- British imperialism and the reign of Attah Ameh Oboni – the inevitable clash)